Monday, March 15, 2010

My Life in Vignettes - The Master Bathroom








I am not much for before & after pictures... I really should have done that with this room. This was my second attempt at designing a room (I'll present the dining room another time)... which really required some major work - like moving a plumbing stack, a reinforced floor, etc. It was a challenge for my old-school contractor to see my vision, but the end result is super cool. And hats off to my plumber who understood where I was going & made his own artistic contribution with the bathtub faucetry straight from England - the crowning glory of this fun & funky room.

I wanted the traditional 1950's style black/white hexagonal tile flooring & the beautiful tile walls that you see pictured...courtesy of a wonderful free-style tile guy... who did all that by hand with no spacers! The tub, toilet & pedestal sink are Kohler Ironworks Historical Series. The paint on the 1/4 wall matches the claws & pedestal. My house had no linen closets... so where you now see a bench and cabinetry is where there used to be a tub. And where the toilet closet resides, once was a free-standing shower.

The cabinet artistry was done by the daughter of a friend who was in art school at the time. Giving a feel of art noveau and gothic nuance. The rocket style lighting, bark cloth cushions, punched metal table, magazine stand & garbage can, combined with the eames style clock & vintage lucite seahorses give this room a more atomic feel.

Probably the most bold & talked about place in my home. People visit & go into the bathroom on purpose just to see what can be done....if you dare!

Until next time.....lisa

1 comment: